I am honestly in awe about how quickly this school year flew by, but at the same time, I am completely ready for it to be over! There are only 9 or 10 days until finals, and then I will complete free to post all throughout the summer. However, I’ll be working hard until then, so blog posts may be scarce. I’m trying to write a few more now while I have less work so I can keep posting while I’m studying!
Here’s what I think every girl should have for the summer months:
1. White Jeans – Literally, there are no other months one can wear white jeans and truly pull them off! They look great with everything and are a terrific way to keep warm on a cold summer night. White is a color that can easily brighten up any outfit, and lastly, white jeans look amazing with almost all wedges.
2. Statement Sunglasses – Who doesn’t love hiding behind a big bold pair of sunglasses? Whatever it be–tortoise shell or just a plain bright color, grab a huge pair of sunglasses, toss them into your beach bag, and you are good to go.
3. Speaking of a beach bag, Large Tote or Beach Bag – Even if you are not going to the beach everyday, I think this is a necessity. I find I have much more to carry in the summer, so even if I’m not going to the beach, I love having a bigger bag.
4. Wedges – Wedges look good with almost anything. I’m pretty much addicted to wedges — I love how effortless they make any look. Steve Madden has some gorgeous pairs out now, check them out!
5. Clutch – Toss this in your beach bag among your other things and you can take it out when you head down for a walk down the beach or if you plan on going somewhere after the beach. Something big enough to hold your phone, money, and small other necessities. Kate Spade has some adorable clutches out right now and I’m sure Urban Outiftters carries some too.
6. Flip Flops – Both ones you can beat up and fancier ones. I recommend the $5 (and sometimes less) flip flops for the first category from Old Navy, and either Tory Burch (on the pricer side, but usually cute) or Havianas (not as expensive, has some cute patterns) for the second category.
7. Sunscreen – I cannot stress this enough — I mean, I am very pale, so this is definitely a MUST for me, but it should be something everyone has in their beach bag. I burn very easily, so I also make sure I carry some sunscreen with me so I will be protected.
8. Waterproof Mascara – Do I need to explain further? If you want to wear a little bit of makeup, this is the way to go!
9. Blotting Paper – It can get really hot out, and lets face it, we all sweat. Swiping some blotting paper across your face will remove the oil build up and will make your skin look a lot better. Trust me, I hate when my skin gets all oily and sweaty!
10. Light scarf – A good accessory for every outfit when it gets a bit colder at night. Along with this, I think a light cardigan is always good to have on hand. Both will keep you warm when it gets chilly!
11. Accessories – Go all out: rings, necklaces, bracelets, earrings –nothing is too much or too little! I love accessorizing in the summer, especially since I am usually wearing simple outfits. Through accessories, I can introduce color and make my outfits a bit more sophisticated. Try Urban Outfitters, Bauble Bar, or even American Eagle for some cute jewelry pieces that will be perfect for the summer.
12. A bold/bulky watch – These have definitely been in the spotlight recently, and I love it! I have one from Marc by Marc Jacobs, but Michael Kors has also been selling some gorgeous ones. You can also find some at a more inexpensive price in the BP section of Nordstrom. They had a nice sophisticated yet whimsical touch to almost any outfit and can dress up a lot of things.
13. Of course, a bathing suit – I’ll just admit it, I love Old Navy bathing suits. I might even prefer their suits over all the high end stuff (but I mean, I wouldn’t complain if someone would volunteer to buy me a designer bathing suit)! They have loud prints and patterns, or if you would rather wear solid colors, they have that too. The shapes of the bikinis are flattering on a lot of people and they have a ton of stock in right now (at least near me) so you can definitely find your size.
Just keep in mind that during the summer, no one can really judge your style! It’s not like you are wearing your outfits to school, where everyone will see what your wearing (and lets face it, people comment). So go all out, no one will penalize you for it! Try out different styles, and really use the summer to find your true fashion identity.
-J (Using just one initial is very Pretty Little Liars, don’t you think? Sorry, I had to make that reference there. I’m not super addicted to the show like a lot of people are, but I am excited it is coming back on June 5th! Comment below if you watch it)
P.S. Also comment or tweet me if you would like to see non-fashion related/beauty related posts every once in awhile during the summer (this way you can get to know me a little better, and it will mix up the posts). Maybe I’ll kick it off with something about all my favorite TV shows and books I’m looking forward to reading/watching this summer?