This is my third and final post on the Smart Girls Conference! I know I have done two already but I had to tie it all together so you could hear some of the highlights of my time in NYC and at the conference beyond my outfits!
Get ready, because this is going to be one looooooooong post….
I figured the best way to structure this would be in a timeline like fashion, so here we go!
Tuesday, July 8, 2014 / Arrival in NYC
- 3:45pm: Laura and I almost miss our train but no worries! We quickly switched tracks and headed into the city.
- 4:35pm: We decide to trek 30+ blocks to the UES, but do so knowing there will be some great stops on the way, like Laudree! We paid $11.20 for 4 macaroons, but it was worth it.
- 5:45pm: Arrival in the UES! Laura and I dropped off our bags and then headed for a delicious dinner at Serafina. But before, we got distracted and walked into Lilly Pulitzer and decided to buy our planners for school.
- 9:00pm: A touristy treat – a trip to Dylan’s Candy Bar! Sure, it was swarming with little kids but who doesn’t love candy? We tossed some chocolate into bags and headed back for a night of snacking and talking. (We didn’t get more than 2 hours of sleep – not lying)
Wednesday, July 9, 2014 / Conference Day 1
- 7:30am: Rise and Shine! After those roughly two hours of sleep Laura and I rushed to get ready and head to the West side for the SGG Conference
- 8:30am: Laura and I got our swag bags and were swooning over everything inside – a planner (yes, we did just buy planners on Tuesday but the Type A in us was squealing for another one!), stella & dot products, a Kenneth Cole bracelet, a Tieks coupon, and more!
- 9:30am: Conference begins at Fordham @ Lincoln Center! Emily Raleigh, founder of SGG, is the sweetest and cutest person ever! Her enthusiasm was infectious!
- 10:15am: The How to Achieve Your Dreams by 30 panel was awesome! It featured Soraya Darabi, Tammy Tibbets, and Kendall Ciesemier. Their insight was awesome, and I especially learned that as an intern, it is important to get people to know who you are! Volunteer to get coffee and pitch stories – then get noticed!
- 1:30pm: Trailblazing in the Media Panel! The members were Kayla Webley, Ashley Parrish, and Denise Restauri. I really liked all three and their advice was great. Specifically, Ashley said, “Don’t let your to-dos get in the way of your what ifs”, which I thought was a great quote.
- 3:45pm: Laura and I were about to crash but then Stephanie Ruhle took the stage – this sassy news anchor was awesome! She had great advice about how to approach the world and get far as a woman in whatever industry we want! Her interesting take on life was very refreshing and a great way to end the day.
- 4:30pm: Networking with cupcakes by Baked by Melissa, my absolute favorite!
- 5:00pm: Outfit pictures at Lincoln Center!
- 6:30pm: Dinner at Shun Lee, which was amazing and I would recommend it to anyone who is in the mood for some great Chinese food!
- 8:45pm: Laura and I venture to Maison Kayser for a little late night snack! Absolutely delicious but very rich and filling – I couldn’t even eat the whole thing! We both agreed that we loved just being able to walk around and that all of the stores were still open!
- 12:00am: Sleep? Maybe? All I know is that we definitely got more sleep than the night before.
Thursday, July 10, 2014 / Conference Day 2
- 8:40am: Laura and I dash into Starbucks and grab Iced Coffee (brief moment of me thinking I ordered hot coffee by accident – I was literally going crazy) and breakfast and then dash over to the conference!
- 10:30am: I meet up with Katie Labonte, the organizer of Smart Mail and Brooke Safferman, fellow Smart Mail writer! It was so cool to meet them in person, and they were both incredibly sweet. I write for Smart Girls Making Headlines!
- 11:30am: The Smart Girls Group girls get up on the stage to discuss what they are up to, and others join them to give testimonials about what SGG has done for them! It was so cute and everyone was so incredibly passionate.
- 2:00pm: Career Development Workshops! We heard from three amazing speakers, Rebecca Spencer from Levo League, Arthur Woods from Imperative, and Elaine Pouliot from Image by Elaine. All were so great and I learned a lot about creating a stellar resume, finding purpose, and dressing the part.
- 3:45pm: HIGHLIGHT OF MY DAY (and probably everyone else’s): College Prepster (Carly Heitlinger) and Mackenzie Horan join Lauren Lally and Molly Ford in talking about Blogging and Branding, which was very applicable to me. I loved when Mackenzie said, “You can’t blog about your life if you are not out living your life!”
- 5:15pm: WE. MET. CARLY. AND. MACKENZIE. And took pictures with them!
- 5:45pm: Quick outing to take outfit pics and walk Laura’s dog
- 6:30pm: Candle 79 we are here! This vegan place was absolutely delicious and I recommend to everyone – vegan or not! I’m not vegan and I thought my ravioli dish was amazing! When you are in the city, check it out.
- 8:00pm: En route to Emack & Bolios when we spotted an Insomnia Cookies and we both got soooo excited! We still headed to Emack & Bolios and indulged in some very expensive but extremely delicious (& messy!) Ice Cream.
- 8:30pm: We go into Insomnia Cookies (with Ice Cream in our hands) and ask if they will deliver to where we are staying that night. Employee gave us a quizzical look, said yes, and then proceeded to stare at our ice cream and asked where it was from! Laura and I were laughing the whole way back to the apartment (you had to be there).
- 12:00am: We order Insomnia Cookies and discuss how great it would be if The Devil Wears Prada was on Netflix. Then I randomly gasp because in the corner of the room was a DVD of The Devil Wears Prada!!! Needless to say, we had a great night snacking, watching the movie, and gossiping.
Friday, July 11, 2014 / Brunch & Exploring
- 11:45am: Oops. We slept in waaaay too late.
- 12:30pm: Up and ready, about to head to Sarahbeth’s for brunch (so maybe it isn’t technically brunch on Friday, but who cares?!)
- 1:00pm: We are in food heaven. French toast has never tasted so good.
- 2:00pm: We walk down Madison and pop into a few stores along the way, all so cute (but so expensive!). We also imagine our lives if we could live in NYC right now!!
- 3:00pm: We pack as quickly as possible and head over to Grand Central to return to Connecticut (and reality).
- 3:32pm: On train and headed home! We were exhausted but still on Twitter/Instagram to recount our past few days on social media !!
I had the most FABULOUS time in NYC! Even though I go into the city a lot, this time was super fun because Laura and I got to venture out and have a bit more freedom, plus, we got to enjoy the conference where we learned so much about expanding our blogs!
Thanks for making it to the end of this post, I know it is so long and probably goes against the unwritten rules of how long a blog post can be.
If you want to see tweets, photos, or other blog posts, search the #LiveSmartNYC on social media! This was the official hashtag for the conference.
If you were at the conference, comment below and let me know what you thought! If I didn’t get to meet this year, I hope to meet you next year!!